[scribus] Footnotes

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Feb 15 03:48:39 CET 2010

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 02:41:08 +0100
Christoph Schäfer <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de> dijo:

>Am Montag, 15. Februar 2010 02:12:45 schrieb David Burleigh:
>> Is there any automatic way to handle footnotes in .odt files?
>>

>There is a workaround:
>http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Footnotes_in_Scribus

That is interesting. I have never needed to import text with footnotes
into Scribus. It is good to know the workaround.

A long time ago I imported text with footnotes into InDesign. InDesign
also does not handle the footnotes, but it does convert them to
endnotes so they appear at the end of the text. It does this even when
copying and pasting from OOo. I selected the footnote portion of the
text, cut to the clipboard, then created a new story. I threaded the
new story into small frames at the bottom of each page where there was
a footnote, each frame being just large enough to hold the footnotes on
that page.

Just now I tried to copy and paste from OOo into Scribus and it saved
the footnote numbers in the text, but did not import the footnote text.
I changed the OOo document from footnotes to endnotes, and still could
not copy and paste the footnote text into Scribus. The problem is not
Scribus; it is OOo. I cannot select the footnote text in OOo, therefore
I cannot copy it to the clipboard. That is, I can select each
individual footnote text and copy it to the clipboard, but I must do so
one footnote text at a time.