[scribus] non-appearing large image

CLIVE CATTERALL clive.catterall at btinternet.com
Wed Feb 10 20:56:32 CET 2010

Howdy
I am using scribus 1.3.3.12 on windows, and I have observed a peculiar behaviour when placing high resolution images into an image frame. I have scans of linework that I am placing onto pages in scribus simply to make a PDF that I can walk over to a good quality printer and output some pages for further marker and pen work. The original linework was scanned at 1200 dpi and by the time it has been placed onto a scribus page the resolution has risen a smidge to 1800 dpi (14028x10200 pix scanned as B&W).

The peculiar thing is that no picture appears when I Get the Image! If I put a lower resolution image into the same image frame (about 900 dpi) then the image appears. If I get a different image at 1800 dpi then the image disappears again. There is no image on print preview, and when I try to export the page as a PDF an error says that there is an empty JPG (though the linework was saved as TIFF with LZW lossless compression - as was the lower res image that worked).

I have had no problems with smaller images appearing at 1100 dpi - is this just a number-of-pixels problem? If I scale an image frame containing an image with a smaller number of pixels I can get it to appear at 2000 dpi without any problem.

I can find no reference to this on the wiki. Any thoughts?

Clive Catterall