[scribus] using Gimp to resize photographs is very poor design

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 10 18:04:23 CET 2010

On 02/10/2010 10:57 AM, tshap wrote:

> Thank you both. I was not aware of "scale image to frame." I see it is
> described in 3.13.5 in the manual.

Some offshoots of this conversation:

1. You can use Scale Image to Frame to get you in the ballpark, then
switch back to Free Scaling as needed. This can help you do a
nondestructive crop of your image, only showing the part that you want
to see in your final PDF.

2. We talk about (truly) resizing images from time to time, but it's
probably only worth the effort when you have so many images that
performance in Scribus is suffering, or you're threatening to overshoot
your RAM's capabilities.

3. Surf the wiki for various kinds of information about this and other
issues. http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Main_Page

4. And make sure you consider buying the Official Manual, which is just
chock-full of information about this and many many other issues. Go to
Amazon and search "Scribus".

Greg