[scribus] degenerate objects

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 17:42:58 CET 2010

2010/2/9 Gregory Pittman <gregp_ky at yahoo.com>

> On 02/09/2010 10:41 AM, Louis Desjardins wrote:

>>> How about a simple "import check" that could throw up an alert if an
>>> importing object would fail some part of the pre-flight check? That way,
>>> the user could be asked about their intentions right away, at which
>>> point they could either stop the import process and go back to re-do the
>>> object to be imported, or tell the alert to set an ignore flag for that
>>> occurrence of that property of that object so that the pre-flight check
>>> would then see that flag and not throw an alert for that instance.
>>>

>> Throw up an alert at the import point instead of at the end of the design
>> process could really help people work.
>>
>> Especially in the case of low image resolution.
>>

> Reality check:
>
> If you are importing in a Free Scaling mode, every single image is going to
> be imported at 72dpi, in which case every image would generate such a
> warning.

Reality checks are always good ! :)

The user would have the option to turn on or off the import-check. Or, in
this particular case — which might happen quite often — I would suggest that
the warning only appears once the user leaves the edit mode for that image.
Actually, this could be the behaviour of that warning, not at import but
once the image is set to its desired size. The warning could appear or
disappear while scaling the image. Only then we can really tell whether the
image has enough resolution.

Plus, the warning would be soft. No need to answer [cancel] or [ok] etc. It
would simply appear into the image in a manner that could even be
user-definable.

How’s that ?

Louis