[scribus] degenerate objects

Nik scribus at babel.homelinux.net
Thu Feb 4 08:36:42 CET 2010

Hi Folks,

There have been times when we've unexpectedly found miniature frames and
lines in documents.

The basic issue is that an unselected object of any type is almost
invisible.
In earlier versions of Scribus, empty image frames displayed an 'X', and
even when they were accidentally shrunk to miniature size, a visible 'X'
was still displayed - even if it were bigger than the actual frame bounds.

In Scribus 1.3.5.1, I notice that the 'X' is now clipped to the size of
the frame, even when it is miniature, so these frames are easily missed
on a reasonably filled page.

So the nett result is that if a frame or line is somehow accidentally
reduced to miniature size, it is often not detected until the final
print comes back from the printer, where these frames show up as small
dots in random locations.

So my request is:

Q1: Would it be possible, please, to have an additional check added to
the pre-flight verifier that warns of "degenerate" objects, which are
generally: any object that is so small as to be useless for actual display.

A user preference could set the threshold size for the different types,
but the default would be something like:

* any line shorter than 3 points
* any frame with a width or height smaller than 3 points

With such a warning added to the pre-flight checker, locating and
removing any such degenerate objects would be a piece of cake.

Cheers!
Nik