[scribus] proportional resize of text frames

Nik scribus at babel.homelinux.net
Thu Feb 4 05:35:04 CET 2010

Hi All,

I've noticed that in more recent versions of Scribus, the properties
window for text frames has a "linked" button for width and height, and
that this is enabled by default.

The result is that when I try to fix the height of an otherwise
correctly sized frame, the width gets altered also.

Even if I remember that the two are linked, I have to pause, make sure
the button is in its disabled state, and if not click it before resizing
a text frame. This minimally involves an extra click for the first such
operation for each frame, and involves more time looking to see if the
click is needed.
And of course, when I forget to look, which is by far the more common
case, I have to click the button to disable it, and then edit the frame
dimensions to fix the unwanted resize operation, which involves much
more extra mouse clicks and expended time.

To be honest, I can't actually think of any situation in which I want
text frames to be resized proportionally.

I can conceive of possible situations, but I can't think when I might
actually encounter one:
eg I have a frame in the middle of the page somewhere and I want to
increase its visibility on the page, so I increase the font size and
then proportionally increase the frame size. But since most fonts are
not square, I doubt that the proportional increase is going to be
correct anyway.

So my main question is:

Q1: Could we please make the link between width and height disabled by
default?

Q2: Or alternatively, assuming there are users who want it to be enabled
by default, could we please have a preferences setting that allows me to
set it to disabled by default?

Cheers!
Nik