[scribus] [Newbie] How to align text boxes and image boxes

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Dec 30 23:56:26 CET 2010

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 10:43:27 -0800
Todd Cary <todd at aristesoftware.com> dijo:

>Could someone point me to a source/document that can help me
>align text boxes so that I can have a result like
>
>http://www.petalumavalleyrotary.org/viewpoints/20101110/viewpoint_20101110.html
>
>In other words, I have the header image followed by the link
>section, etc..  In the HTML version, the right and left margins
>align and the sections join without gaps.
>
>Can this be done?

Others may have different suggestions, because there are lots of ways
to do things in Scribus. I would do it with layers.

First I would put the pale pumpkin colored background on the bottom
layer, flooding the entire page.

On the second layer I would create a frame with the bottom pale orange
color, then the brown color overlapping the top of the pale orange, then
the medium brown color overlapping again, and finally the blue color,
again, overlapping. Then I would add the frame for the sunset,
overlapping again. By overlapping you avoid gaps. And last, I would
place the Rotary logo.

On the third layer I would create one text frame the same width as all
the color frames on the second layer. I would set the inside to offset
the text a few points so there will be a bit of margin. I would place
all the text in this text frame and use text formatting to center the
parts that are centered, color the parts that are not black, and so on.

Note that there are layers and there are also stacking orders of the
elements on a layer. I used three layers just because it makes it
easier to work on one part of the design at a time. On the second layer
I used stacking to overlap the color frames on top of each other to
avoid gaps.

Hope that gets you started. Holler back if you need more help.