[scribus] Best practice: creating a template

Peter Palmreuther pitpalme+scribus at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 23:07:21 CET 2010

On 12/29/10 10:30 pm, jwminer at accessvt.com wrote:
> John Culleton wrote:
>> Scribus is aimed primarily at printed rather than web products,
>> although there is a choice when you produce a pdf.  For one thing
>> the
>> typical pdf produced by Scribus is very large.
>>
>> AFAIK text reflow and PDF are not compatible. For text reflow you
>> should
>> probably use HTML or XHTML.
>
> A PDF can be read without any reference to a browser. I wouldn't
> call it a "Web product." Some governments require certain documents
> to be readable by the visually impaired with a screen reader.

Thanks. That's the direction my /UA-question was targeted to.
I'm working in public service and we're strongly requested (some try to make
this "enforced") to make electronic documents accessible to anybody.
Especially with a certain amount of our employees being visually impaired we
have to take care about this issue.

> While Scribus is not designed to be an HTML creator or editor, it
> certainly offers options for reading PDFs in a browser. Given the
> legal requirements for some documents, I think Peter raised an
> important issue.

OK. So I'm not completely alone. It would be really nice if something in the
direction of "Scribus is not only designed to produce PDF files sent to a
printing company" would make it into the roadmap :-)
--
Best regards,

Peter

PS: I'm not visually impaired, but I think electronic publishing should
neither discriminate the impaired nor the authors (by enforcing them to create
two documents when one PDF could be enough).
And being able to present an electronic document following some typesetting
rules, like Scribus is capable to produce, I do always prefer (in opposite to
just "hack the text" in MS Word) ... When it comes to *presenting* and not
collaborate on a document.