[scribus] Scribus 1.3.8 bug (I think)...

David McDow dmcdow at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 03:58:07 CET 2010

Dear All,

I am using version 1.3.8 Build C-C-T-F-C1.10.0, Ghostscript 8.71, Ubuntu
10.10.  I believe there is a bug because I am getting "Scribus crashes due
to Signal#11" error and I don't think it's my error (other my lack
of planning, ahem).

I  created a text box while in Master Pages to show up the same in every pub
I put out.  I created a style and named it, for example, "Ubuntu 10 tabbed
blue justified..."  I then realized later that this verbose style-naming
convention was difficult to read in the Story Editor (there is no way to
increase the style pane size (that I can figure out)).

I figured that the best way to deal with this is to come up with a truncated
style-naming system and rename the styles.  That's when the fight began.

The following is the sequence of events that caused the scuffle:
1) enter Master Pages... under Edit menu
2) right click on existing text box with existing formatted text (opens
Story Editor)
3) right click the style in style pane (opens Style Manager)
4) click "Edit Styles..." at resultant window
5) highlight existing style in left-hand pane of Style Manager
6) rename the style to a more readable sized name in "Name:" space
7) click Apply
8) click OK
9) "Scribus crash due to Signal#11"

I have looked around and haven't seen a specific remedy to this sequence of
events.  I have never filed a bug report.  I don't know if this is a bug or
poor planning on my part.  Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
David