[scribus] Pantone for Scribus

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 21 18:50:39 CET 2010

On 12/21/2010 12:24 PM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 12/21/2010 09:38 AM, Olivier BERTEN wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Here is my first try at scripting Scribus:
>> http://www.selapa.net/scribus/Pantone.py
>>
>> If you run it as standalone (or within Scribus< 1.5 but it doesn't
>> really make sense), it let's you save Pantone's palettes in your
>> "swatches/locked" folder.
>>
>>> From within Scribus 1.5, it features importing individual colors to the
>> current document. It's limited to version 1.5 because earlier version
>> don't allow to define RGB colors, which is how color data are available
>> (with Lab, of course) for most of Pantone's palettes.
>> By the way, adding individual colors from libraries is a feature that
>> should be added to Scribus since you usually need process colors and a
>> few spot colors. You don't need to import the whole thousands of colors
>> in your document. And if you want to load a library, you loose all your
>> colors...
>>
>> Comments and suggestions welcome...
>
> I tried this on Fedora 14, and it seemed to download info Ok, but then
> was just spinning its wheels indefinitely.
>
> On killing Scribus and reopening, I have no additional color sets.
> Looking in .scribus, I can see a pantone directory with a number of PNGs
> and .js files, but swatches/locked is empty.
>
> I guess the thing to do if I can figure it out is to set up some
> messageBoxes to see what it is trying to do when it fails.

I inserted a messageBox to find out the saving directory, and
immediately got a traceback indicating that scribus.messageBox didn't
work, so I noticed that there was no 'import scribus' line.

Considering that there are several scribus.xxxx commands, I apparently
never invoked any of these previously.

As I scan the script, I wonder if there has been more reliance on
various Qt commands than is really necessary -- for someone like me it
makes it harder to interpret, and may be a bit of overkill in general.

Greg