[scribus] downloading stable version of Scribus for Mac

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Mon Dec 20 01:45:11 CET 2010

** Alison Saylor <alison.saylor at gmail.com> [2010-12-19 23:49]:
> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Paul Tansom <paul at aptanet.com> wrote:
> > ** Alison Saylor <alison.saylor at gmail.com> [2010-12-19 01:15]:
> >> Well I do appreciate it in any case.  Have you had any luck
> >> downloading prior versions of Scribus from the link you sent me?  I
> >> get taken to Sourceforge where they display the other versions but
> >> none of them is a live link.
> > ** end quote [Alison Saylor]
> >
> > I've managed to download the 1.3.8 version, since that is linked at the top of
> > the page. Other versions seem to take you to an empty directory, which isn't
> > that helpful.
> >
> > I've only recently started using OS X on my own machine (as opposed to fixing
> > other peoples Macs in a network environment) being primarily a Linux user (and
> > Windows when I have to - another case of fixing it for other people!). I quite
> > like it, particularly pleased to find ssh sitting there installed and ready to
> > use, but they do seem to expect you to keep up with the latest version - even
> > more so than Microsoft do. I keep coming across bug fixes that involve
> > upgrading to 10.5 or newer :( 10.4 is only just over 5 years old and seems to
> > be loosing application support, whereas XP is approaching 10 and is only now
> > beginning to have this problem. Ah well, I'll likely stick with Linux as my
> > main desktop anyway.
> >
> Ah, what link are you talking about for the 1.3.8?  I couldn't find a
> working one.  I panicked because I am under deadline.  After my tech
> person cancelled our appointment today I tried to install OS 10.5 and
> managed to mess up everything, even my ability to get on the Internet,
> and nothing, absolutely nothing was installed.  So I ran out and
> rented a computer as today is the last free day I have to finish (and
> start) my project that was due last week.  Ah well, hopefully I'll
> have a very productive time for the rest of the day.  thanks for
> responding!
** end quote [Alison Saylor]

At the top of this page:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus/files/OldFiles/

There's text stating "Looking for the latest version? Download
Scribus_1.3.8.dmg (72.2 MB)", which then links to:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus/files/scribus-devel/1.3.8/Scribus_1.3.8.dmg/download

That's what I used, but being a dmg it doesn't support 10.4, so isn't much
help.

It has to be said that without my trusty Ubuntu installer (aptitude from the
command line) I'm a little lost as to the latest version of Scribus. The Wiki
talks about the latest stable version being 1.3.3.14, and the development
version being 1.3.8.

With a bit more exploring links I've now found:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus/files/scribus-devel/

which has a list of versions; 1.3.6, 1.3.7, 1.3.8, 1.3.9. In each of these
there is a dmg file, so theres:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus/files/scribus-devel/1.3.6/Scribus_1.3.6.dmg/download
http://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus/files/scribus-devel/1.3.7/Scribus%201.3.7.dmg/download
http://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus/files/scribus-devel/1.3.8/Scribus_1.3.8.dmg/download
http://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus/files/scribus-devel/1.3.9/Scribus_1.3.9.dmg/download

I've just tried 1.3.6 not expecting it to work, and lo and behold it didn't and
fails with the same error. To be expected really give the posts to this thread
so far! The only particular thing of note was that the diagnostic report talked
about it being Version: 1.3.5svn (???), so I'm assuming that is an oversight
because I'm sure 1.3.5 was mentioned as the last one that worked from the dmg.

Time for some sleep now though. This may become a pet project given that my
Quicksilver seems bit low spec for 10.5. Then again I've got a working install
on my Ubuntu box next to me so for me there's no rush.