[scribus] Bookland barcode problem

Tom Benjey benjey at pa.net
Fri Dec 17 15:53:53 CET 2010

On Friday 17 December 2010 08:27:08 mrdocs wrote:
> On Friday 17 December 2010 07:45:25 Tom wrote:
> > Part of my problem has been solved. I neglected to select CMYK
> > output when having the barcode created. The Distiller error now
> > goes away but there is another problem. Although the barcode
> > looks good on the screen in Scribus, it is shrunk and shifted
> > within the image frame in the resulting PDF when creating the PDF
> > by printing to Adobe. When I create the PDF by exporting to a
> > PDF, the output PDF looks good but a major printer that I use
> > won't accept PDFs in the standards available from Scribus at this
> > time. What could be causing the barcode to be shrunken and moved?
> >
> > Tom Benjey
> > 717-258-9733 voice
> > 717-243-0074 fax
> > Twitter: @TomBenjey
>
> Hi,
>
> With regard to the printer you are using, can you provide a link or
> some document which gives their requirements. We have designed
> Scribus to be completely compatible with modern print work flows.
>
> Second, you might be better to import the barcode directly as EPS,
> which then become native vector objects.

In my experience this is the solution. From the file menu import the
eps file. It will create its own image frame. Then move it where you
want. It will be a vector object.

You can also use the built-in bar code generator within Scribus. This
works well also.

If you create an image frame and then use "Get Image" you will
probably get a 72dpi thumbnail in bimapped format. I learned this the
hard way, and modified my e-book to explain the correct technique.
--
John Culleton,
 typesetting and indexing http://wexfordpress.com

Thanks, Peter & John. I should have reread that section of John's book. I
was pulling my hair out because this process was no problem when I tried it
some months ago. John's suggestion worked readily and the problem is solved.

The printer in question is Lightning Source. John has written extensively
about the difficulty in meeting their specs (PDF/X-1a:2001) using affordable
tools.

Tom