[scribus] Scribus 1.5.0 for Windows users.

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Fri Dec 17 15:35:48 CET 2010

On Thursday 16 December 2010 20:13:32 John Beardmore wrote:
> On 17/12/2010 01:05, John Culleton wrote:
> > I update 1.5.0 every night on my Slackware 13.0 Linux system
> > using this script. It may not be elegant but it works:
> > ------------------------------
> > cd /usr/local/src/scribus_svn
> > svn co  svn://scribus.info/Scribus/trunk/Scribus
> > cd ./Scribus
> > cmake  -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr/local/scribus_svn
> > make
> > make install
> > rm /usr/local/bin/scrib5
> > ln /usr/local/scribus_svn/bin/scribus /usr/local/bin/scrib5
> >
> > Now for the hard part. Does anyone on list use 1.5.0 under
> > MSWindows? If so what steps did you have to go through to set up
> > your system to be capable of compiling 1.5.0?
> >
> > I am the victim of my own hubris. I boasted that I could create a
> > cover in Scribus that would not be rasterized and rendered lumpy
> > by the dominant POD printer LSI. And so I can, in 1.5.0. But I
> > can't recommend it to others without giving them a roadmap to
> > compiling the svn version.
> >
> > I know that it is  not company policy to use 1.5.0 for
> > production. But it works fine thus far and it is the only version
> > that will produce a PDF X/1-a format file so it is a practical
> > necessity unless one is willing to spend big bucks on Distiller.
>
> Hi John,
>
> Would you be willing to make your Windows executable available to
> others ?
>

> Many thanks, J/.
If I had one I would certainly share it. But although I have a couple
of Win XP partitions sitting idle I don't use them. I did compile Open
Cobol on one of them but that doesn't involve Qt4 etc. The facts are
that some of us have created buzz about Scribus in self publishing
circles. But most of them are MSWin users. So my plea to those who
have fought the good fight and put up 1.5.0 on an MSWin system; what is
required to compile Scribus from svn on your system? I don't need it
but others do.

--
John Culleton,
 typesetting and indexing http://wexfordpress.com