[scribus] Organizing the workspace display OR possible intuitive self help while not annoying those who know more

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Thu Dec 16 22:11:42 CET 2010

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 20:16:06 +0000
"K.King" <k.king177 at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Christoph
> I think Marie-No?lle was highlighting that while the answers are
> readily offered on the mailing list, maybe some how the software
> (treading very carefully here) can / could in some way potentially
> help (especially new users) more effectively, by what ever means so
> that such answers are immediately either obvious to the user or
> available directly (in built help or whatever).
>
> a.l.e.
> I know what you mean about annoying popups that warn you about what
> your about to do even though you know what you are doing and may have
> done it a zillion times before. But I think there is merit in
> Marie-No?lle suggestion for when somebody tries to do something that
> is just not possible that they should/could be advised directly and a
> popup is definitely more effective in those circumstances. And as
> Marie-No?lle pointed out those who know not to do would never see it.

personally, i'm for finding a good notification system for scribus. but, generally speaking, alert boxes are not what i understand under a good way of communicating between a program and its users. it scares some of the users and annoys most of the rest...

since there is much more scribus could tell to its users, i really think that we should define a "standard" interface for it.
i guess that looking around for working notifications systems may be a good starting point (in my experience, two of the inspiring ones are the status bar in inkscape and the warnings in maemo).

and i repeat myself: i have nothing against notifying the user that he is trying to modify a locked layer... it's just that there are lot of silly things a user could do and lot of things scribus could/should warn about and i'm really not sure if starting adding popups is a good idea.

marie-noëlle, i'm creating a set of "projects" for scribus and you're welcome to contribute to one for notifications!

bonne soirée
a.l.e