[scribus] Can scribus page/canvas default resolution be lowered?

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 12 20:46:05 CET 2010

On 12/11/2010 11:01 PM, randy.pare at rogers.com wrote:
> Once again, forgive my intrusion - this stuff is hard to learn.
> Okay, the document I am attempting to create, using scribus, is NOT intended for printing. It will be a PDF shared over the web [an e-zine]. Until now I have always done my layouts using MS Word and am trying to learn DTP software so I can get more creative with my layouts.
> All that being said, I must also add that the graphics I use for my zine are all simple web friendly jpegs. When loading them into scribus, unlike MS Word, they are reduced to illegible, blurry thumbnails. I can only assume this is because the default setting of the page/or canvas [to use an art program term] is very high. For example, the exact same simple jpegs, when added to an MS Word doc - appear larger, are not blurry and can be converted to a PDF for web quite simply. Because MS Word doesn't expect the images to be hi rez.
> What I would like to know - is it possible for the page resolution - the working area itself - to be lowered to web specs? Or should I be searching for other software? I have read instructions about scaling images for export etc etc... none of this is helpful if the environ they are layed out in is too high a rez to begin with.

It seems you're talking about opposite things. You say you want the
default resolution lowered, but then you (seem to) complain about the
Scribus images being blurry -- they are blurry because the display
resolution is low. I'm not sure why you are so concerned about the
appearance in Scribus.

The other thing is, the resolution inside of Scribus doesn't have so
much to do with the resolution of the PDF output. That is set in the PDF
export dialog, as limited by the resolution of the image itself at the
degree of magnification you are using, and it sounds like you can export
at a rather low image resolution, as shown on the wiki page.

Greg