[scribus] [OT] How many different colors?

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 9 14:38:29 CET 2010

On 12/09/2010 06:56 AM, Juraj Fedel wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 09:18:01AM -0500, Gregory Pittman wrote:
>> I think perhaps a more important consideration is the ability of the
>> eye/brain to differentiate colors in a useful way.
>
> This is exactly what I am looking for! And I am aware of most problem
> you mentioned. It is my fault that I can not ask qestion simply.
>
> I am looking for a list of colors that are distinct enough for most
> people not to be confused when comparing them.

Having gone through this myself before, my personal opinion is that you
must figure this out yourself, according to your needs.

If you don't need to name the colors, it's pretty simple. You just look
for a number of colors which will not be confused with each other. It
can get difficult when you need a _lot_ of colors. Just like a 4-color
map, keeping adjacent colors dissimilar helps.

If you have to be able to refer to them by name, then you get into
various issues pointed out in the link from Gerard, and hopefully your
necessary list is quite short indeed.

Greg