[scribus] OT Fontmatrix issues

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Thu Dec 9 07:33:01 CET 2010

hi john

> I can no longer launch Fontmatrix on my Fedora 14 x86_64 computer. I
> am trying to join the Fontmatrix e-list, but the site is untrusted.
> So are the bug page and all the other links on the Fontmatrix home
> page. I tried IRC, but apparently I'm in the wrong time zone. I hate
> being on a planet that rotates.
>
> Is there a way to communicate a mysterious problem to someone who
> might have an answer?

you should probably learn what an untrusted certificate is: it's not about it being bad, but not being signed by a well known certificate issuer.

since the issuers don't check much on their client, this does not make almost any difference.

in most cases, what you should care about is just that if you already went to gna.org and accepted their certificate, you should not be asked anymore about accepting their certificate (when using the same browser / comptuer / ...).
if this happens it may (i repeat *may*) be a sign that your connection to the site is compromised.

so, far from being useless, the certificate used by gna.org allows you:
- to encrypt the communication
- to be sure that the second time you get there, you get to the same server as the first time.

for the purpose of writing a bug report, this is more than enough!

ciao
a.l.e