[scribus] [OT] How many different colors?

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 8 15:18:01 CET 2010

On 12/08/2010 05:40 AM, Jean-Louis Cordonnier wrote:
> Juraj Fedel a écrit :
>> I want to know how many different colors can human eye recognize.
> Screen colors or printed colors doesn't include all colors :
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_space
> http://www.printernational.org/rgb-versus-cmyk.php

I think perhaps a more important consideration is the ability of the
eye/brain to differentiate colors in a useful way. Can the brain see the
difference in RGB colors with a one-unit difference in the R value? Not
likely, and even if it could, if the colors were presented quickly or
separated by space and time, it's unlikely that it could under those
circumstances. The background also plays a role.

You also must consider effects of age and visual acuity on color
perception (some say that women "see" more colors than men, but it may
be that women split colors more and men tend to group). Finally, there
is a percentage of the population which has some form of color
blindness, and may not even be aware of it. Scribus, of course, has the
ability to simulate different forms of color blindness to give a sense
of what such individuals actually see where you perceive vivid
differences and they don't.

These comments don't even consider the differences between one person's
monitor and another, plus the difference between the way something may
show up on screen and how it shows up in print on paper, with variations
in printer, inks, and paper.

Greg