[scribus] Announcement: Scribus 1.3.9 released
rcook at pcug.org.au
Sun Dec 5 06:35:32 CET 2010
> I tried one more tome, downloading the file described here and
> the relevant instructions. I seem to have installed 22.214.171.124 as a
> Right now, I'm more than a little frustrated. What am I doing wrong?
> someone please post a set of clear, fool proof instructions to install
> 1.3.9 on ubuntu 10.10, for clearly I am a fool.
Step one can be done by using a browser. Steps 2 - 10 require a
console, and if you are not familiar with that, then I can't help
1. Downloaded scribus-1.3.9 35 MBytes (scribus-1.3.9.tar.bz2 in my
case. Normally Ubuntu puts this in your ~/Download directory)
2. $ sudo mkdir /scribus1.3.9 (this is where it will be installed)
3. $ sudo chown username:username /scribus1.3.9 (replace username
with your username, gerard?)
4. If not already in your download directory, cd to it now
5. $ bzcat scribus-1.3.9.tar.bz2 | tar xv
6. $ cd scribus-1.3.9
7. $ cmake . -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/scribus1.3.9 -DWANT_CAIRO=1
8. $ make
9. $ sudo make install
10. $ /scribus1.3.9/bin/scribus will now start it for you
All up, less than an hour, step 8 can take some time, say 30 or more
minutes depending on your computer.
Do step 3
step 7. Note the . <---period/full stop after the cmake
step 9 sudo can be omitted, but it will bomb out on the last line of
the install, but that doesn't affect step 10.
Step 7. Read the output, it may give valuable clues and if you don't
understand it, email it to the list, someone may be able to help.
You may well be missing some libraries. Keep in contact. I just did
the above on a 64 bit Ubuntu-10.10, Scribus opens in a flash, blink
and you will miss it starting!
More information about the scribus