[scribus] Installing Scribus 1.3.8 on Mint 9 (URGENT)

jwminer at accessvt.com jwminer at accessvt.com
Fri Dec 3 19:49:01 CET 2010

Ian W. wrote:
> I have installed Mint 9 KDE here and the one problem I have is to
> get my
> Scribus re-installed. The only option through the Packet Manager is
> 1.3.3.13 but I've been using 1.3.8 for a while now so my files will
> not
> be compatible. I can also find no help on the various Forums and
> WebSites.
>
> Can anyone advise how I can get 1.3.8 please.

I join John Culleton here in saying you should compile it yourself.
Linux has the tools and it's easy as long as you have the needed
dependencies. I'm always happy to have a package for my distro
because nothing can be easier than installing a Linux package, but
it takes a while for new releases to make it to a distro's
repositories and in some cases, it may *never* make it into the
repos (for example, having 1.3.3.13 as the only option in your
Packet Manager).

I couldn't wait for 1.3.9 to become available for VectorLinux, so
yesterday I compiled it myself. It was one of the easiest
compilations I've ever done. VectorLinux, like Slackware, includes
the compilers and developers tools needed and all the dependencies
were already installed on VectorLinux 7 alpha 3.5.1, which I'm
testing and using. I installed it into a scribusinstall directory in
my home directory--not my usual practice, but I wanted it to be
isolated from the rest of the system. It's working very well and I'm
designing our family Christmas card on it.

I didn't create a Vector package and just used cmake-make-make
install. But once done, I was able to simply copy the scribusinstall
directory over my network to another computer. It is using
VectorLinux 6 SOHO Deluxe and was lacking three library files needed
by Scribus 1.3.9. I just copied them to /usr/lib, did ldconfig, and
now 1.3.9 is running fine on that computer.

I should add that I'm not a lover of compiling and would much rather
have a package, but I'm sure not going to be held back from
something I want because I can't find a package somewhere. If I had
to wait for a precompiled file, I might as well be back in Windows.

One more thing:
"Compiling" sounds very intimidating. Actually, though, you don't
need to do anything but get it started and it does everything for
you. You don't need to know any technical details, just run the
program (cmake-make-make install).
--Judy M.
   USA

Registered Linux User #397786
Being productive with VectorLinux 6.0 SOHO