[scribus] Review on Scribus 1.5 svn

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Fri Dec 3 15:02:13 CET 2010

On Friday 03 December 2010 01:33:44 John Beardmore wrote:
> On 31/10/2010 10:22, Markus W. Barth wrote:
> > The following review of the 1.5 svn version may be interesting
> > for those interested in knowing how development goes.
> >
> > http://linuxgraphics.blogspot.com/p/scribus.html
>
> Is there an svn of 1,5 that can be downloaded for windows
> please ?
>
> Information on this seems strangely sparse !
>
> Please help !!
>

> Cheers, J/.

Let's face it, for tasks like this Linux, and particularly Slackware
Linux makes life easier. Slackware comes with the necessary tools for
downloading and compiling 1.5.0. My suggestion: if you are just dying
for 1.5.0 then put up a Slackware 13.0 partition somewhere, even on a
big  usb drive if necessary, and use something like the following,
which works for me each night:
cd /usr/local/src/scribus_svn
svn co  svn://scribus.info/Scribus/trunk/Scribus
cd ./Scribus
cmake  -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr/local/scribus_svn
make
make install
ls -l /usr/local/bin/scrib5
rm /usr/local/bin/scrib5
ln /usr/local/scribus_svn/bin/scribus /usr/local/bin/scrib5
ls -l /usr/local/bin/scrib5
This is not a case of "my OS is better than your OS" but rather that
there are horses for courses and Slackware has all the tools for this
kind of compilation. Windows and other versions of Linux (e.g. Debian
family) will require downloading a c ++ compiler , a linker, an svn
program and so on.

I use 1.5.0 for only one reason. It offers PDF X/1-a output and  this
is required for covers by LSI. The only alternatives I have found is
Acrobat Distiller or a progam called pstill which is extraordinarily
complex, e.g.:
/usr/local/pstill_dist/pstill -M default -d 400 -m \
XPDFX="SWOP US" -m XPDFXVERSION-1A \
-m XimgAsCMYK -m Xoverprint -o final.pdf flatfile.ps

--
John Culleton,
 typesetting and indexing http://wexfordpress.com