[scribus] Organizing pictures before inserting them in a book

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 2 14:58:29 CET 2010

On 12/02/2010 07:13 AM, a.l.e wrote:
> bonjour marie-noëlle,
>> I'm a real beginner in DTP, and have just created a little photo books
>> of 40
>> pictures with Scribus.
>>
>> Now, I want to work on a larger project involving about 200-300
>> photos, and
>> I'm looking for a tool to organize the photos before actually putting
>> them
>> in Sribus pages. I would like to display as many photo thumbnails as
>> possible in a window, and be able to sort them manually. When I'm
>> satisfied
>> with the order, I will have to register it someway (renaming the files is
>> possible), so I only have to import them, one by one, in image frames in
>> Scribus.
>>
>> > From what I saw, Scribus images manager only allows sorting by
>> filename or
>> document page. Unless there is a function I have not yet discovered? Or a
>> plugin, may be?
>> Or somebody can give hints about other tools I could use, or other
>> ways to
>> do the job?
>
> interesting task...
>
> i've googled a bit and found two possible solutions:
>
> - with geeqie allows to create collections (geeqie is the image
> previewer i normally use... so i may be interested in digging into this
> way...)
> - http://www.sign-el-soft.hu/cgi/ng-xim.en.html
> - krename
>
> since i'm not on my home computer i could not test any of those
> solutions... but i will test geeqie as soon as possible.
>
> i could also think of a solution using openoffice (i've created a very
> effective "maquette" builder with oo.org.
>
> so: there are some possible solutions.
>
> in order to give you further advices, i guess i should know more about
> the project (like: how many picture per page?)

I think the organizing part of what you want to do is something best
done outside of Scribus, as others indicate.

For the making of the album, look at this wiki page:

http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Automatic_import_of_images:_Versions_not_requiring_Tkinter

which has some scripts and Henry Hartley's variant for loading images
from a directory to a set layout. At least for the ones that I wrote,
the order comes from an alphanumeric ordering by filename.

The parts you would probably want to change are those relating to the
size and dimensions of the frames, and position and number of them on
the pages.

Greg