[scribus] Automagically insert correct German quotation marks instead of manually inserting them?

Axel Bojer axel.bojer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 09:04:32 CEST 2010

Den 25. aug. 2010 16:46, skrev John Culleton:
(...)
> My "trick" when editing a text file (in Gvim) where the quotes are
> actually inch symbols like those I have used in this sentence is to
> search for the string:
> <space>"
>  and substitute the TeX convention for opening quote, and then search
> for the string
> "<space>
> and substitute the TeX convention for a closing quote. (...)

Actually it is a bit more complex, I think.

space + quote = start quote, is ok
quote + space = end quote, is ok

But at the start of a paragraph just a start quote might occur (without
a space before it).
Also you will have to replace things like:

quote + : = end quote
quote + ; = end quote
quote + . = end quote
quote + , = end quote
quote + ! = end quote
quote + ? = end quote
etc.

I have made a macro in OOo that converts wrong quotation marks to the
Norwegian ones automatically. Easy to do and very useful when you have
to correct many texts.

On the same route: I also have macros that corrects
space + - + space = space + -- + space (-- meaning a short dash)
space + space = space
space + space + space = space
space + space + space + space = space
(actually I just run the first one a couple of times to accomplish the
cases where spaces are used in stead of tabs etc. Scribus dont very much
like tabs, so I use a style for it).
... = ... (that last one being one sign, not three dots)
' = single quote / apostrophe
etc.

In short: I do not correct those in Scribus (unless I forget to remove
them at an earlier stage) but in OOo.

All the best
Axel Bojer