[scribus] exporting to .pdf messes up the fonts in final doc.

peter linnell plinnell at scribus.info
Tue Aug 17 22:41:09 CEST 2010

On 8/17/10 6:51 PM, John Culleton wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 August 2010 12:13:52 Nathan wrote:
>> Submitted on 08/17/2010
>> Submitted by anonymous user: [10.1.5.224]
>>
>> Submitted values are:
>>
>>     Name: Nathan
>>     Email Address: evokal at gmail.com
>>     Subject: exporting to .pdf messes up the fonts in final doc.
>>     Message:
>> Hey I am using Arial font for my upcoming book, but everytime I export
> the
>> file to .pdf and open it - something weird has happens to the font - it
>> looks darker, and messier than in Scribus and the letter L looks like it
>> has been stretched and bolded every time. (by the way, in Scribus
>> everything looks perfect)
>>
>> Any ideas why this has happened? I also exported the same file last week
>> and it worked fine - so I am not sure what is going on today.
>>
>> thanks in advance.
>>
>> Nathan
>>
>>     About your Scribus program:
>>       Version: 1.3.3.14
>>       Prebuilt/Compiled: Prebuilt
>>       Build Date:
>>     Your operating system and CPU:
>>       Type: Windows
>>       Version: Win7
>>       CPU type: Other/Don't know
>>
>> The results of this submission may be viewed at:
>> http://www.scribus.net/?q=node/158/submission/525

> Could be a problem with your pdf viewer.  Try magnifying the image and see
> if the artifacts disappear. Print out a page locally and see if it prints OK.
>
> If you are publishing a book in the US or the UK I would suggest a serif and
> not a sans-serif font.  For these audiences sans-serif fonts are tiring and
> irritating.
>
> I would suggest using something other than the standard Microsoft or Adobe
> fonts. Sometimes unexpected font substitution can occur. Deja Vu family
> has both Serif and Sans-Serif faces.

John is correct here on both accounts:

This is long standing issue which happens with certain glyphs in Arial
and it is not only Scribus PDFs which cause this. Sometimes is it the
display preferences setting within Acrobat Reader which amplify this
display distortion.

Second, I strongly as a matter of design taste to reccomend another font
than Arial. It is optimized for screen display, not high resolution
printing. On http://wiki.scribus.net there is a good article on finding
usable high quality free fonts.

Peter