[scribus] a proposal for wiki script documentation

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 11 18:02:43 CEST 2010

A suggestion I would like to make is something I'm at least
experimenting with in new script articles. I've added a small preface to
the article which would give a brief overview of the Scribus tasks that
the script includes, since in many cases I find that I am looking for
further information on syntax and associated information which is needed
to do something useful.

For example, to add a text frame with content, you need to create the
frame, put text into it, choose the font, its size, color and perhaps
other features, which ends up being a block of commands. I also look for
ways to see Python in practice for more efficient and reusable code.

Examples of this are at:

http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/A_Standard_Form_with_Barcodes_and_Custom_Entries

http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Advanced_Graphing

http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Generating_a_Code39_Barcode

Beyond this, I eventually want to edit the Beginner's Scripts page to
provide an indicator of the commands that are used in a particular script.

For example (probably will require a table environment):

Generating a Code39 Barcode     haveDoc, valueDialog, messageBox,
createLine, setLineWidth, setLineColor, setFillColor, setText, setFont,
setFontSize, setTextAlignment

I think that whenever you can see the particular collection of commands
in action in a script it will be much more efficient than the online
documentation.

An additional feature of this is that both of these types of
documentation can be done by anyone editing the wiki, so perhaps we can
as a group bring up the utility of this section of the wiki.

Greg