[scribus] Opening MS Publisher files

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 04:52:22 CEST 2010

2010/8/10 Owen <rcook at pcug.org.au>

> > It's pretty standard practice to specify that only certain file
> > formats are acceptable. The burden is on the producer of the files,
> > not the one receiving them and certainly not on the developers of
> > Scribus or any other DTP program to accommodate them.
>

> Also seems to be fairly standard practice to ignore these requests. I
> have come to the conclusion that many people have no idea what you are
> talking about.
>
> Authors will spend days preparing their article in Word, fancy fonts
> and underlining etc, only to be bitterly disappointed that the editor
> strips this formatting away. (I WILL NEVER WRITE ANOTHER THING FOR
> YOU!! BOOM BOOM!!)

If only the author would have asked on the first place... "what do you
need?"

> Copy and Paste is one of the best weapons in the arsenal.

I would simply take away the word "best" from this sentence! :)

People use cut/paste, yes. Is this the way to go... mostly depends on the
skills at both ends of the chain...

> I was actually surprised by this thread as I don't think I have seen a
> publisher file for probably 8 or so years.

Well... it happens ! The ocean is big. There are lots of fishes, at all
depths!