[scribus] beginner's luck, or lack thereof

Repubo repubo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 01:14:23 CEST 2010

Peter,

I'm running Scribus 1.3.6 on a Mac with OS 10.5.8 and Ghostscript 8.7.0.

There may be .dmg files of Ghostscript available, the only one I ever
used was from 2007; I don't know the version number. That's the
fastest way to install it, but I don't know if a 3 year version would
still work well. The version I am using now I installed through
MacPorts,
which I'd suggest.

http://www.macports.org/

Install MacPorts, which is available as a .dmg file for Leopard
(version 1.8.2) and follow their very good instructions on how to use
it. You'll then need to open and use Terminal (in your Applications/
Utilities folder) to install Ghostscript. To start the download and
install of Ghostscript from Terminal simply open Terminal; you'll see
your computers name, your name a $ and a cursor. Type this in and hit
return:

sudo port install ghostscript

You'll then be asked for your password. Enter it, hit return and sit
back. MacPorts will start gathering all the files necessary and
install Ghostscript. This could take 5 minutes or 30 minutes depending
upon your connection, etc. When it's finished you'll see "--> cleaning
ghostscript" in the Terminal window and your computers name, your name
a $ and a cursor. You can quit Terminal.

I'd do a restart of your computer then open Scribus/Preferences/
External Tools. Under PostScript Interpreter you should see

/usr/local/bin/gs

as Name of Executable. That's where Ghostscript resides on my Mac. If
it's not there, type in the above and try a print preview.

If all this is too much, try to find a Ghostscript .dmg file (Google
it) and once it's installed, assuming it installs in your Applications
folder, try this as Name of Executable:

/Applications/Ghostscript.app

Good Luck!

Bill