[scribus] beginner's luck, or lack thereof

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 22 22:27:26 CEST 2010

On 04/22/2010 04:02 PM, Peter Thorkelson wrote:
> hello, george,
>
> thanks a lot so far.
>
> I'm on a mac, OSX 10.5.8.
>
> when I go to preferences (under the scribus menu), I get what looks like
> a lot of gibberish, except that three of the fields say "name of
> executable." as it happens, executables are not available to the mac, or
> at least, so I've been told. they are the exclusive province of windows.
> maybe they're available under linux, I wouldn't know.
>
> the "image processing tool" window contains the word "gimp." as it
> happens, I have gimp on my computer. I seem to be able to give scribus
> the location of that program, but when I tried to insert ghostwriter in
> the postscrpt interpreter window, I was stymied because ghostscript is a
> folder with hundreds of, I don't know, apps?, plug-ins? whatever. I
> wasn't able to tell the preferences window what to ask for.

Try going to this page:

http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=readme-macosx

for an explanation, and a link to a dmg file for MacOS for ghostscript.

You can certainly use Scribus without ghostscript. I don't know that we
have an up to date assessment of the gains for Mac users by having
ghostscript. I helps with image processing, like transforming EPS to
bitmap, for example.

Greg