[scribus] Placing RGB images

Victor Papp victor at vpapp.com
Fri Apr 16 00:34:42 CEST 2010

Hi.

I am preparing a booklet for separation and offset process printing.
The photos come from a camera, so they are RGB.
Is it ok to place RGB images into Scribus?
With color management enabled will it convert color spaces correctly?
I have heard that with RGB images one can face with color reproduction
problems after separation and print.

Till now I converted images to CMYK at my pal's PC in Photoshop,
assigned FOGRA 27 profile to it and then placed the converted images
to Scribus.
This worked for me, but now I have no access to Photoshop.

So, my questions:

1. If i bring RGB to Scribus and print to ps, will the color space
change from RGB to CMYK in the resulting postscript?
2. If it is recommended to bring CMYK instead of RGB what open source
tools are available to convert RGB->CMYK ?

(I suppose that ghostscript or imagemagick can do it, including
replacing color profile, but i do not know how.)

Other free tools to convert ?

Thanks in advance,
Victor