[scribus] noob text format question

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Apr 13 20:34:02 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 13 April 2010 13:12:38 Alison Saylor wrote:
> thank you!  and can i ask you another question?  even if i download
> that, i'll still have the format changing on me though not so
> drastically as going from word to plain text.  is there a way to avoid
> that?  i am having files sent to me in word and then i need to put
> them into scribus.  when i had the set up before where i converted
> them to open office after downloading them, the paragraphs would
> disappear and i'd have to reinsert them by hand.  thank you for your
> help!  really appreciate it!
>
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 12:09 AM, a.l.e <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:
> > hi alison
> >
> >>  sounds like you are saying there's a version of it for MACs.
> >
> > yes, get it from http://www.openoffice.org (and no other place)
> >
> > ciao
> > a.l.e

We start with the overall task first, and then select the tool. If you
import your doc file into Open Office Writer then you can save it as a .tex
(in this case pdflatex) file.  Then pdflatex foo.tex will deliver a properly
formatted pdf file.  Now this procedure does not use Scribus but it does
deliver a properly formatted pdf file with minimum effort.

If however you concentrate on the subtask of converting a .doc file to
Scribus then the import of an .odt file as has been previously suggested is
the way to go.
--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"