[scribus] Crop capability.

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Sun Apr 4 03:44:10 CEST 2010

Am Sonntag, 4. April 2010 03:57:05 schrieb John Culleton:
> Chances are I could build my covers in Scribus alone if it had a way to
> crop and resize images as Gimp can.  Is this on anyone's wish list (besides
> mine of course.)

The idea of a DTP program is to assemble content created in another program,
not to edit the orginal content. If we added a feature to actually edit an
image, we would have to create a copy of that image, which would result in a
lot of problems, inlcuding users not noticing it and filling their harddisk
with many, many copies, or deciding which formt to use for the copy. It would
also mean that Scribus would require an image editing engine more advanced
than what e.g. GIMP offers, since Scribus can import images in CMYK and
supports PSD features like clipping paths and transparency layers. Scribus
would have to *edit* and *write* this stuff, and this is not trivial.

You can already "crop" images by enlarging either the image in a frame or by
downscaling the frame itself.

So the answer is no.

Christoph