[scribus] Scribus PDF Error

Mike Sleger chappa-ai at msn.com
Sat Apr 3 03:09:34 CEST 2010

Scribus PDF export just doesn't seem to like large images.  My TIF image is 5100 x 6599 at 600 dpi (96.2 MB) and looks fine, prints fine from Scribus.  Export bombs.  Resaving the .tif doesn't fix the problem.  BMP isn't supported, so that format is out.  GIF requires indexed color and this is a true-color image, so that format is out.  Changing to PNG format (12.0 MB) also bombs on export.  Just for kicks, tried JPG (14.9 MB) and export again bombed.  Tried XPM format (105 MB and resolution changed to 72 dpi so PreFlight warns for image resolution less than 144 dpi) and export still bombed.  Conclusion:  1.3.3.14 doesn't handle images greater than some particular maximum size (unless there's some trick that I'm not aware of for getting this to work).

Has anybody used a massively large image in Scribus and was able to export it to PDF?  I'm open to suggestion on a file type to use, without sacrificing image quality.  Scribus import recognizes GIF, JPG, PNG, XPM, and TIFF, none of which have worked.  I want to keep the 600 dpi resolution for print quality.  I could always just have page 1 (the cover) contained in a separate file, like PageMaker or Word and send two files to the printer.  (Acrobat Distiller doesn't have any problems with the large image.)