[scribus] Scribus PDF Error

Mike Sleger chappa-ai at msn.com
Fri Apr 2 18:08:46 CEST 2010

Crash occurs consistently at 6% completion of "exporting images from current page".

Fonts are indeed embedded in the PDF.  Acrobat (and I use the full retail version, not the free reader) correctly lists the embedded fonts.  This is necessary as the printing facility doesn't have my fonts installed on their system, and won't install them from my disks (even temporarily) for the sake of printing (legal issues).

I'll need to do some further debugging, like split the pages up into separate files to see if they export individually (which messes up automatic page numbering), remove text styles and format all text manually (meaning splitting paragraphs across multiple linked text frames - ugh!), trying a newer release of Scribus, trying different PostScript versions for output, etc.

I don't know yet whether the l/I issue is due to Scribus styles other something else, since another .sla file using the same font but no text styles exports fine to PDF without all l's and I's changed to bold.

If I can't generate a PDF to send to a commercial printer, the .sla is practically useless.  If I do end up generating multple PDFs (one for each page) successfully, then I'll need to find some utility online for merging the separate PDFs back together into one document.