[scribus] Scribus: Business cards templates

id746-spam at yahoo.co.uk id746-spam at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 21 13:21:42 CEST 2009

: Erm.. how incredibly complicated???

:  Just make it in Scribus, multiple duplicate and you are done, export to PDF.

: Craig

Yep, I did exactly that, using a document where a locked layer acts as guides both for the layout and the cutting (light grey dotted lines set up as a "super grid"). Multiple copy paste and align/distibute help ensure even spacing.
There is still an issue with further changes - and with business cards you may have to make one for each employee, but make sure all elements are still in the same exact place, or add/modify a phone extension, modify the exact job title... the copy/paste and alignment proved time consuming.

I guess this is once more a call for database-driven scripts, where the number of cards for each person would be set by multiple identical lines, to keep it simple.
I understand though that in the Adobe world, some companies actually make a decent living out of database driven templates and adds-on for catalogues, product management...  so to all of us users: developing software is expensive, difficult and time consuming, and this is the 10% area where Adobe InDesign has a feature that Scribus does not have.

Cedric