[scribus] Linux vs Windows for Scribus ?

Steven Dayton daytonmeister at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 04:01:33 CEST 2009

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Asif Lodhi <asif.lodhi at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been working with Red Hat/Fedora since Red Hat 7.3. I don't
> know why it didn't work with a broadband connection a few days back.
> Anyways, it's working now and perfectly well. I'll nonetheless try
> other distros - opensuse, Mint, Ubuntu, Vector, Debian, ...you name
> it.

So far I have tried Ubuntu (my first foray into Linux) and Mint. I have
tried to get OpenSUSE but it took so long to download and then when I tried
it on two different computers it would load all the way. Mint is slow
because it is on a very slow machine and Ubuntu can be slow not to mention
the strange broken patterns that come up way to often (especially when I am
running Firefox).

There are way to many choices of distros. It can get extremely complicated
at times. But then again... And then there is the time factor. Too much and
too little time. :-)

> I have discovered, however, one hell of a lot of good distro - it's
> called Slitaz Linux. It is so fast that when install it on my 1mb usb
> stick it installs under a 100MB or so and runs extremely blindingly
> fast!!! on my 245MB RAM 1.7GHz Celeron machine which then looks like a
> 2.66GHz Core Due 2 with 2GB! Slitaz doesn't currently have Scribus but
> it's an extremely good distro for netbook usage for example. Too fast.
> There IS an Scribus folder in their repository but I think it's other
> stuff instead of the main Scribus application. It's so fast that one
> really feels like start working on the OS itself! :)

You're not kidding this is fast. I'm writing this reply while running off
the disk. I have installed Inkscape (not the current 0.46 version) and it is
fast and I can see everything on the screen that is all the tool bars at the
bottom that are cut off in Ubuntu. Inkscape works fast. I am trying to get
GIMP just to see how fast it works. I tried to find Scribus but didn't
locate it either. Firefox seem to perform fast too.

I couldn't figure out how to change preferences for the mouse action. I
can't stand getting on a new or unfamiliar computer and the mouse
accelerates so fast. I like to slow it down a bit. And what is with the
wicked looking spider. Fortunately I was able to make it disapear and change
the background colour. I wanted to try Open Office but I can't see it in the
SliTax Packages Manager.

Thanks for putting me on to this. I think I like it. I'm going to play
around with it some more and maybe install it on my cheap eMachine.

StevenD