[scribus] Colour Profiles

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.nl
Wed Sep 9 12:28:29 CEST 2009

John Beardmore wrote:
> Hal V. Engel wrote:
>> On Wednesday 02 September 2009 02:29:18 pm Gregory Pittman wrote:
>>> On 09/02/2009 04:35 PM, davecs wrote:

< big snip >

> Again this brings me back to the notion that for many people, having
> something like the Gimp Tools->Colour Tools->Adjust Curves control to
> adjust printed output would be really handy if the bulk of material in a
> document is too light, too dark etc.

Now this is just crystal-ball wishfull thinking, but envisage there
would be a tool that works like this:
1. make a photograph (with lots of colours and contrast) with your
camera without icc
2. print this photograph on your printer which also comes without icc
2. make a photograph of the resulting print under good lighting
conditions (now, this is probably the weakest part, it would be better
to scan it using a scanner that *does* have a colour profile)
3. - here comes the magic - run a program that analyses both photographs
(or the photo and the scan) and automatically creates a colour profile
combo for your printer and camera, such that at least any photograph
from that camera that is printed by that printer will come out colour-true.

Of course your monitor is completely out of view for a tool like this.
However, your printer would at least give a good preview for what a
professional printer will give you.

This would of course even be easier if the printer is the only device
without a proper icc profile, e.g. your camera and scanner both have an
icc profile.

(This was inspired by the brilliant thing my cheapo inkjet
printer/scanner combo does: to calibrate the printer heads position, it
prints a special page which you have to put under the scanner, which
reads it and calculates the proper calibration values from it.)

Vincent.