[scribus] Linux vs Windows for Scribus ?

Jeffrey Silverman jeffrey.d.silverman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 16:24:56 CEST 2009

Well, partially I'm just trolling.

But really, I have a basis in reality for that statement. Although the
basis may be dated, I dunno.

Fedora, nee Red Hat Linux, has always been very "bleeding edge", and
because of that, tends to have problems that other distros do not.
Bugs, lack of polish, stability issues.

Please note that the last time I used Fedora was in 2004, with FC3.
FC3 was a nightmare. I had used exclusively Red Hat distros up until
that point. RH 7-7.3, 8, 9, RHEL 3 and 4, Fedora 1,2, and 3. Fedora
was always just frustrating and missing stuff and in need of serious
tweaking before being actually usable.

Then I discovered that there really were some other options out there,
and that using a Linux desktop didn't always have to mean constant
tweaking, frustration, and headaches. I switched to MEPIS at that
time. MEPIS is/was amazing. The problem MEPIS had/has, though, is a
somewhat brittle upgrade and maintenance path, otherwise I recommend
MEPIS on my short  list. Then I discovered Ubuntu and finally, Linux
Mint. I always recommend Mint at this point as my first suggestion. It
is like Ubuntu++, and Ubuntu is pretty good. Mint comes with all of
the good things about Ubuntu[1] and adds extra polish, ease of use,
tools, and features.

I have never used SuSE, but I've test driven it a couple of times, and
it never quite felt right to me. In much the same way that buying a
car is a personal choice. I would probably not buy a Toyota, for
example, just on the aestheics, but it is so personal a decision at
that level. So, too, is the choice in Linux distro these days. Mint
just feels right to me, in addition to having great features and
polish.

My recommendations for new Linux users, not necessarily in order:

1) Linux Mint
2) Ubuntu
3) MEPIS
4) PCLinuxOS

Others will stick Fedora, SuSE in there. Still others will stick
Debian in. And some retards will even recommend Slackware to new
users. (If you are a new Linux user but happen to be a 50 year old
Unix sysadmin, then Slack might be alright.) Finally, I do
intentionally put provocative remarks in my posts in the desire to
elicit a strong response. I hope the"retards" out there don't take it
personally. So far, not too many have, but you never know. I am
perfectly well aware of what I am writing.

:) :) :) :) :)

[1] And, unfortunately, most of the bad things. But there aren't too
many of those.

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Steven Dayton<daytonmeister at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/9/6 Jeffrey Silverman <jeffrey.d.silverman at gmail.com>
>
>> Yeah, but then you'd have installed Fedora. big mistake.
>

> Why big mistake? I haven't even considered Fedora. I'm just curious why.
> Right now I have been considering OpenSUSE and LinuxMint to try out. Maybe
> even Debian. I need to get a better machine besides this laptop I have been
> using. It just isn't worth upgrading. Scribus works great on it so far
> albeit rather slow.
>
> StevenD

JDS