[scribus] Linux vs Windows for Scribus ?

Jeffrey Silverman jeffrey.d.silverman at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 16:12:34 CEST 2009

>   If the answer to both of these questions is "yes", then I am wondering if I Will I need to begin studying Linux commands and command structure, as I did many, many years ago with MS-DOS?  [I obviously know very little about Linux, so please bear with me.]  Also, if I decide to take this route, should I consider only the community-driven Linux versions--such as Debian and Gentoo--or would I be better off trying to get commercially-backed versions like Fedora, openSUSE, Ubuntu, or Mandriva?  Also, what about Slackware?  What dependencies should I install for each?  I would appreciate any information and guidance anyone can provide?  Thank all of you, and keep up the great work!!   :)
> Bob

1) You do not ever need to use the command line in Linux *unless you
want to*. BUT: You must choose a distro that has the GUI management
tools available so you don't have to use the CLI. Slackware is NOT a
good choice for that. (NOTE: I am not saying "Slackware is not a good
choice, in general" I am saying "Slackware is not a good choice for
Linux newbs who don't want to use the CLI". That's for the Slack users
who get their panties all in a bunch when someone says something
possibly negative about Slack).
 1a) Good distro's for a newbie: Ubuntu, Linux Mint, MEPIS. Certainly
there are others; I recommend Mint first and foremost.

2) Installing Scribus is VERY easy in a GUI-oriented distro. "One
click" installation easy (although it is really more like five clicks,
but who's counting?)

3) There is no compelling reason to switch to Linux just to use
Scribus. The reason why most of the posters to this list use Linux is
because Scribus is kinda Linux first, then ported to other OSes
second, in my understanding. (Although that may no longer be true)
Also, Free Software users tend to go whole-hog and use Linux in
addition to just F/OSS apps.

4) That said, there is no compelling reason[1] to continue to use
Windows, either, really, other than inertia and apathy. Neither of
which are good reasons for doing anything, usually.

5) Yum, bacon

I hope this helps, seeya

[1] There are, for some people, some compelling reasons to stick with
Windows, actually, but I don't want to tell you what they are.
--
JDS