[scribus] Linux vs Windows for Scribus ?

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Fri Sep 4 15:25:41 CEST 2009

On Friday 04 September 2009 08:47:11 Robert Marma wrote:
> Hello,
>   I constantly follow the posted emails and responses, which are
both
> enlightening and informative, especially for a "newbie" like
myself.  It's
> been awhile since I bothered you and the contributors to this
mailing list
> with what must appear to be simplistic queries, and I appreciate
the time,
> attention, AND PATIENCE the Scribus Team and your
knowledgeable
> contributors are willing to invest in responding to them.  :) This
time, my
> question has to do with using Linux.  I installed Scribus on two
Windows
> XP-based laptops--a 6-year-old Compaq Presario and a recently
purchased
> Asus EeePC netbook.  I was wondering if there would be any
advantage(s) to
> partitioning the hard drive of each system, and then running
Linux/Windows
> and installing a Linux version of Scribus, which the majority of
the
> contributors to this e-mailing appear to be using.  For example,
are there
> more dependencies, script libraries, and other GPL software
available for
> the Linux version and for Linux, in general? If the answer to
both of these
> questions is "yes", then I am wondering if I Will I need to begin
studying
> Linux commands and command structure, as I did many, many
years ago with
> MS-DOS?  [I obviously know very little about Linux, so please
bear with
> me.]  Also, if I decide to take this route, should I consider only
the
> community-driven Linux versions--such as Debian and Gentoo--
or would I be
> better off trying to get commercially-backed versions like
Fedora,
> openSUSE, Ubuntu, or Mandriva?  Also, what about Slackware?
What
> dependencies should I install for each?  I would appreciate any
information
> and guidance anyone can provide?  Thank all of you, and keep
up the great
> work!!   :) Bob

I am probably not a good witness because I discovered Slackware
Linux almost two decades ago and it is my main OS ever since.
Slackware comes with a fixed set of applications and everything
else, including Scribus, must be downloaded as a tar ball  and
configured, compiled and installed. The latest version of
Slackware Linux (13) has the Qt 4.5 libraries so Scribus will
compile without difficulty.

Linux has a full-fledged graphic interface which I use most of the
time. But I open up command line driven terminal sessions on top
of the gui for things like compilation, searching for files, use of
text utilities etc.

Oh yes, in addition I have been fiddling with computers since
1968. Back then a fellow told me I wasn't smart enough to
understand what went on inside his IBM 1401  computer....
--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"