[scribus] Huge PDF, need suggestions

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Fri Sep 4 01:04:08 CEST 2009

On Thursday 03 September 2009 18:11:10 Craig wrote:
> John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 14:11:09 -0700
> >
> > John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:
> >> On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 20:20:00 +0200
> >>
> >> "a.l.e" <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> dijo:

> >> First, when I started trying to print the document there was
only one
> >> small EPS graphic in it. I have since imported it as a vector
file and
> >> deleted the EPS. Extras > Manage Images is now grayed
out. There are no
> >> images in the file at all other than the graphics that were
imported as
> >> vectors and some native Scribus objects. Still, when I export
as PDF
> >> the resulting file is 201 MB.
> >>
> >> The problem is that there are six pages containing about 20
rectangles
> >> created in Scribus. Each rectangle has rounded corners and
a 10% gray
> >> fill. If I print from Scribus I get reasonable print speed, but
all
> >> these rectangles print solid black. This is to various printers
using
> >> their PCL and PostScript drivers. If I export to PDF the
rectangles
> >> appear and print correctly. But then I have to put up with
unbearably
> >> slow printing - 10 minutes per page from Okular and over
20 minutes per
> >> page from Adobe Reader 9.1. I tried Evince but it errored out
when I
> >> tried to print.
> >>
> >> I tried printing to CUPS-PDF instead of exporting as PDF
from Scribus.
> >> That resulted in a PDF file of only 25 MB, but the rectangles
were all
> >> solid black. Furthermore, the page size was messed up.
> >>
> >> I also printed to file from Scribus and I will try sending the
file
> >> directly to the printer with lpr.  However, I don't hold out
much hope
> >> that it will solve the problem because it was created with
Scribus'
> >> print engine, not its export to PDF engine.
> >>
> >> I think there is a bug in the way Scribus prints, but I need to
poke
> >> around with this some more before I can be sure. In the
meantime the
> >> printers I am printing to are older Laserjets with PostScript
Level 2,
> >> so if someone has similar printers you can try creating a
rectangle
> >> with a 10% fill and see what kind of results you get.
> >
> > I just discovered something else. I had originally exported as
PDF 1.5.
> > Later I exported as 1.4. Both were huge and impossible to
print from.
> > Since then I exported as 1.3. The file size is only 69 MB
compared to
> > 200+ MB with 1.4 and 1.5. The file opened quickly in Adobe
Reader and
> > the whole thing spooled off to the printer in less than a
minute.

> > That's the good news. The bad news is that all my rectangles
with 10%
> > gray fill appear on screen in Adobe Reader and Okular as solid
black,
> > and also print as solid black. There were some other oddities
as well -
> > lines placed in two text fames did not make it, but lines
placed in
> > three other text frames did appear and print fine. They were
the same
> > lines created in Scribus.
>
> Well, of course,... PDF 1.3 does not support transparencies...
>
> Craig

Here is my solution:
1. Export the document as pdf 1.4 or pdf 1.5
2. View the pdf in Acrobat reader.
3. Print to file from Acrobat Reader, creating a postscript file.
4. Convert that file to pdf using Ghostscript script ps2pdf13.

Now you should have a smaller file with all the transparencies
preserved.
--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"