[scribus] b/w document: PDF greyscale or printer?

vwf vwf at vulkor.net
Thu Sep 3 17:16:52 CEST 2009

>> now, and in the last few issues experienced problems.  Eventually
>> it turned out that it was all caused by me exporting PDFs for
>> "Printer", not "Greyscale".  PDFs exported for "Printer" are
>> actually RGB, not greyscale - even though the entire document
>> doesn't contain a single element in color.  So a description of
>> what these two options do would be welcome  :-)

> It has been mentioned several times on this list.

This is usually an indication of a problem

> Printer means PDF is exported as CMYK (the "printer" here means the
> profession, not the device)

This is confirmed by all documentation. What a "normal" user wonders
about is why B/W images become full CMYK colour images instead of CMYK
with CMY being "empty". When I check my images they are truly
'greyscale':
  Type: GrayscaleMatte
  Endianess: Undefined
  Colorspace: Gray
  Depth: 8-bit
  Channel depth:
    Gray: 8-bit
    Alpha: 8-bit

> Grayscale means (if I understand right) CMYK without CMY (intended for
> when you print with only black ink).

OK. I will give this a try (and I hope you understand it right :)

Thanks