[scribus] b/w document: PDF greyscale or printer?

Peter Nermander peter at nermander.se
Thu Sep 3 16:55:02 CEST 2009

> now, and in the last few issues experienced problems.  Eventually
> it turned out that it was all caused by me exporting PDFs for
> "Printer", not "Greyscale".  PDFs exported for "Printer" are
> actually RGB, not greyscale - even though the entire document
> doesn't contain a single element in color.  So a description of
> what these two options do would be welcome  :-)

It has been mentioned several times on this list.

Printer means PDF is exported as CMYK (the "printer" here means the
profession, not the device)

Screen/web means RGB (and is to be used for most desktop and office
printers, because they are made to accept RGB data and trying to print
a CMYK PDF to those devices mean that the CMYK will first be converted
to RGB by the computer and then to CMYK again by the printer driver)

Grayscale means (if I understand right) CMYK without CMY (intended for
when you print with only black ink).