[scribus] building 1.3.5.1 with Qt 4.4.3

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Wed Sep 2 19:52:59 CEST 2009

buonasera frits,

> To me, a release candidate is as stable as is
> needed to become the next production version; only when problems
> appear during testing, changes are made.

well, you were using a RC for a development version!

RC for a stable version should be as stable as a stable version (with some minor bugs...)

RC for a development version are, well, not as stable and a bit more a moving target!

> If one updates to the latest libraries during the release-candidate
> testing-phase just to incluse the latest features, I think this is a
> mistake.

i guess that there are good reasons for it: it has been probably done to simplify the back-porting of fixes for 1.5 to 1.3.5 and 1.3.6.

i would not be surprised if QT 4.5 will be required for 1.3.6 or 1.3.7.

don't forget: the goal is to get a rock stable 1.4 not to please the people currently using 1.3.5!
the 1.3.x series will get more and more stable and -- with much hard work from the team and some good feedback from the users -- we may have 1.4 before next year!

and once 1.4 is out, there won't probably be any change to the library it uses.

> Maybe scribus 1.3.5RC2 works, maybe not (with serious consequences).
> If you like people to use your software for serious work, I think you
> may need to reconsider your policies.  So far it still works fine;
> soon I will know whether the printer can handle the files or not.

afaik, the policy has not changed: use the stable version for productive work!
and the stable version is currently 1.3.3.13!

1.3.5 IS NOT A STABLE VERSION!

you may use it, and you're welcome to do it, but you're goal should be to report bugs not to have as few problems as possible with your printer!
as a bonus you get the new shiny features the devs have implemented!

and -- this time -- i try not send my email before i've written some greetings.

ciao
a.l.e