[scribus] Text Overflow - Background

Henry Hartley henryhartley at westat.com
Tue Sep 1 23:14:53 CEST 2009

John Beardmore wrote:

>> Henry Hartley wrote:
>> > I have a script that takes a directory full of photographs and
>> > builds a document with either four or six images per page, scaled
>> > and rotated to the same size.
>>
>> Is that a script you'd like to share with the rest of us in the
>> fullness of time ?   (Please ?)

I'd be happy to. This is a modified version of a script that Gregory Pittman originally wrote (called scribalbum_letter.py). I've modified it to (among other things) position both horizontal and vertical images so that they are centered (both horizontally and vertically) in (invisible) squares on the page with the captions centered beneath them. It also offsets the content of each page either to the left or the right so that when I print them double sided there is a little room on one side for a three-hole punch.

I just added status and progress indicators this week after telling myself I really needed to do that for a while. That makes it a lot easier to put up with how slow things sometimes get with longish documents.

I've also thought I should add a bit to allow for 12 images per page since I often don't really need as large as I get with 4 or 6 and it would save a considerable amount of paper and printing supplies.

One other question I have is if anyone else has noticed that every time the progress indicator or status bar is updated Scribus steals focus from other applications on the desktop. Not all applications seem to be equally susceptible to this. I'm running on Windows XP at work and MS Outlook is a particular problem. I literally cannot use Outlook while the script is running because it looses focus every couple seconds. Other apps (like Thunderbird) seem to have no problem with it.

--
Henry