[scribus] center the image inside the frame

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Oct 29 19:43:12 CET 2009

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:47:41 +0000
Nuno Pedrosa <nuno.f.pedrosa at gmail.com> dijo:

> Well, scripts are usefull, so you may want to take a look at this one:
>
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Align_an_Image_in_its_Frame
>
> You don't really need to understand it. Not much, anyway.

I tried the above script, but I must have done something wrong.

First, I copied and pasted it into Gedit, then saved it as
Image_AlignInFrame.py. But saving it may have been where I went wrong,
because the instructions on the page said to save it as
Image_AlignInFrame.py, but failed to tell me *where* to save it. I
searched all over the scripter information but couldn't find anything
about where .py scripts are supposed to be saved in order for Scribus
1.3.5 RC3 to find them. Finally, I did a search on *.py in my home
folder and found a bunch of them in /home/jjj/scribus-ng-1.3.4.dfsg
+svn20071115/scribus/plugins/scriptplugin/samples, among other
locations. But when I tried to save it there I found that the entire
folder was owned by root. Why that should be is unclear, but I took
ownership myself and then finally saved the script there.

After finally getting the script where I thought it should be I
launched Scribus. However, the script did not appear in the list in
Scripts > Scribus Scripts, so apparently I put it in the wrong folder.
Nevertheless, I was able to run it by finding it with Scripts > Execute
Script.

And after all that it runs; that is, I get a little window with the
radio buttons to select the alignment, but it doesn't work. To test it
I created an image frame and placed a TIFF image in it. I deliberately
made the image frame with dimensions different from the dimensions of
the TIFF image. Selecting the image frame and then clicking on any of
the buttons, and then on Done, does nothing.

Oh well. It was just an experiment to see if I could figure out
something about how scripts work in Scribus. I am not a programmer and
have no desire to learn how to write scripts. I just wanted to figure
out how to use the scripts that others have written and placed on the
wiki.