[scribus] custom line styles usage existing and maybe a suggestion

K.King k.king177 at ntlworld.com
Mon Oct 26 20:20:40 CET 2009

a comment if I may,
the v1.3.5.1 release anouncement says
"A new line editor for custom line styles"
I wasn't too sure what this meant or how to use so I tried
"line editor" and "custom lines styles"
in Help, in Google, and in the scribus faq and wiki search
nothing in help, and everything else only showed the release announcement.

So I haven't yet found a way to see detail or tutorial on what the above
actually definitively meant or would provide.

a suggestion and or question as how to go about suggesting it (assuming
it hasn't already)
I'm assuming the line edit and custom line styles all relate to the Line
and Colours sections of the properties dialog?
If so I have played around with that and basically I think established
that I can create lines where the variations are limited to dots or
dashes and to change the colour of the solid part only.
Is that correct ?
I tried to apply colour gradients and the like but it did not seem to
have much affect?

What I would like (and I know a number of others will want if we were to
convince them of the merits of scribus) is a means to do more with the
line more akin to "border art" in Publisher.

So if it is not already possible would applying a "pattern" i.e.
crosshatching or colour gradients be possible. Or maybe embedding at
least one char or maybe a string of char from a spooky font (e.g. from
wingdings)  that can be repeated i.e. an asterisk or a star and that
could be controlled like the line controls existing (e.g. four asterisks
side by side a gap of some amount and then repeat the pattern four
asterisks, space etc.)

Is any of the above already possible ?

Would it be a reasonable thing to add ?

Is it the sort of thing that we could maybe look into coding and
contribute ?