[scribus] scribus tutorial

Jeffrey Silverman jeffrey.d.silverman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 14:09:24 CET 2009

1) Please send non-HTML email to this mailing list
2) The Open sourse DTP stack includes
 -  the GIMP: http://www.gimp.org/   (Photoshop equivalent)
 -  Inkscape: http://www.inkscape.org/  (Adobe Illustrator equivalent)
 -  LittleCMS: http://www.littlecms.com/  (color management tools)
 -  Ghostscript: http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/  (postscript management tools)
 - OpenOffice: http://www.openoffice.org/  (office suite)
 - XPDF and/or its derivatives, or Adobe Reader (preferred)
   - http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/
   - http://get.adobe.com/reader/
 - and other tools...

All of those are MUCH easier to install on Ubuntu than on Windows. Not
that they are hard to install on Windows, but Ubuntu it is like, 2
clicks. (Really, it is like 9 clicks, but at least 5 of the nine are
clicking checkboxes to select the software.  But I digress.)

I mention this last bit just to sorta answer the "Where does Ubuntu
fit in with Scribus" part of the question.

Anyway, that should get you rolling. Someone else pointed you to the
getting started guide.

later...

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 7:13 AM, Graham Lizamore
<grahamlizamore at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi anyone out there know of an idiots guide to getting started on Scribus? I
> have half a dozen students to teach, all of us with a basis of windows and a
> smattering of InDesign. Where does Ubuntu fit in with Scribus and can
> Scribus be used with Photoshop or is there open source software that can be
> used instead of PS?
> Thanks
> Graham

JDS