[scribus] fontmatrix makes firefox go gah gah

Steven Dayton daytonmeister at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 16:21:27 CEST 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 05:56, a.l.e <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:

> it's a pity that at the same time 80% of the scribus users are using ubuntu
> (the ones using windows have been excluded from the statistics)...

I wonder if this is because it is fairly easy to get and install? Of the few
distros I have tried out Ubuntu was the easiest to install for a Linux
beginner.

> on the one side, i fully agree that it's not the job of the scribus team to
> solve the qt issues in ubuntu (or even to find workarounds for them).

I agree with you there.

> but -- at the same time -- this constant ubuntu bashing imho harms the
>  scribus own reputation (don't you wonder what all the ubuntu users think of
> those mails?) and generally the reputation of free software (what will
> somebody doing her first steps with free software think about such cheap
> "kindergarden" fights?).

Yes this Ubuntu bashing and I might add all the other OS bashing may
not do much good to win folks over to free open source software. It hasn't
kept me away. I just try and dismiss most of it as angry nonsense. Very good
points.

> so: can we stop it?

Yeah.

> i think that suggesting the use of *SUSE or simply pointing to the fact
> that the problems may be related to some ubuntu changes to QT should be
> enough.
>

> getting a ubuntu hacker (or better the ubuntu qt packagers) to talk with
> the scribus and fontmatrix teams would be even better!

The 80% figure (80% of Scribus users are on Ubuntu) ought to say something
to the Ubuntu folks.

All in all these kinds of comments say to me that there are some reasonable
folks out there who can make sense out of this stuff. I just want to work
with Scribus on what ever platform is going to give me good results be it
Linux or Window or even Mac for that matter.

--
StevenD

Do you want it fast, good, or cheap? Choose any two.