[scribus] fontmatrix makes firefox go gah gah

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Tue Oct 20 06:02:02 CEST 2009

Am Montag, 19. Oktober 2009 09:58:38 schrieb dwain:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 12:15 AM, Christoph Schäfer <
>
> christoph-schaefer at gmx.de> wrote:
> > I hate to say it, but this looks like another *buntu casualty to me.
> >
> > My advice: Stay away from *buntu if you want to do some serious work with
> > Qt/KDE programs. At least for the time being.
> >
> > There are better distros out there.
>
> another further comment to this one.  made me go back to windows.  such
> linux snobbery,

No snobbery at all. 80% of Scribus issues that can't be resolved are related
to Ubuntu, and the reason is that Canonical is heavily modifying the Qt
libraries used by Scribus. As a result, Scribus and other Qt programs, like
Fontmatrix, cease to work reliably in some cases. Ubuntu doesn't have a
monopoly here, and we had issues with earlier versions of SUSE Linux as well
in the past, but these are gone now. That's no guarantee for the future, and
we don't know what issues with modified Qt versions on other distros will
surface in the future, but currently, *buntu is the culprit.

Scribus is developed according to the official Qt documentation and relies on
distros assuring compatibility. Ubuntu has failed to provide this
compatibility for years already. And despite Ubuntu's popularity, we won't
adapt to their modifications, one reason being that Scribus is
cross-platform, i.e. also available for Windows, OS X, OS/2 and some Unix
versions. Please do not expect us to break Scribus on all other distros and
platforms just to please Ubuntu.

> especially from a fellow german.

I really wonder what my passport has to do with your "complaint" ...

Christoph