[scribus] Scribus, GNOME, KDE

Jeffrey Silverman jeffrey.d.silverman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 20:24:18 CEST 2009

There are no advantages, per se, only differences. (analogy: which is
the better car? Nissan Altima or Toyota Camry? (is that a US-only
analogy? i.e. does Europe and Asia have those models?)

Anyway, if you are used to using Windows, then KDE is a little more
familiar-feeling. If you are used to using a Mac, then Gnome might be
a little more familiar feeling. But really, that is misleading, as
KDE, Gnome, Mac OS X, and Windows are all very different in some
fundamental ways. (And very similar in som every fundamental ways)

As far as Ubuntu goes, I think Ubuntu's Gnome is *much* better than
Ubuntu's KDE. However, other distros do KDE much better.

It is all very confusing to a new Linux user, all these choices, so I
say take baby steps and stick with what you are using for now, until
you feel comfortable enough to venture out. In Ubuntu, it is very easy
to install KDE, and you can switch between Gnome and KDE very easily,
so even venturing out is no big deal.

good luck have fun seeya

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Steven Dayton <daytonmeister at gmail.com> wrote:
> I hope this is ok to ask here but I have been using Scribus on a Ubuntu
> machine for a couple of months now. I have been using the GNOME desktop or I
> think that is what it is called. I was wondering about KDE and if there any
> advantages one over the other? Or maybe it doesn't really matter.
>
> --
> StevenD
>
> Do you want it fast, good, or cheap? Choose any two.

JDS